Saturday 22 June 2013

Easy peasy 10 minute salad

Hey everyone, Im so excited today because it's my first weekend off duty in a long while...I did have to go to work for a bit though but I got off before noon and in my books that qualifies as a day off..Lols 
As I write this blog post, I'm at a friend's house eating fufu, playing video games and just having a good time...(proud to say that I resisted the temptation of having a fizzy drink...#dancingazonto)...

Anyways back to the topic...my easy salad..but a little background history first..I wasn't always a salad person...I just didn't get why I should eat vegetables when I could eat sugary confectionaries and get a sugar high...Lols...but part of being fab is being healthy from the inside out and that was why I started looking for vegetables which I liked and could eat raw!!! 
I soon noticed that vegetables actually tasted really good when fresh and that has been my source of motivation...I've had to modify my salad recipe to make sure it's a stress free process without sacrificing taste..
Ingredients include: carrots, green bell peppers, cucumber, lettuce, sweet corn, avocado
(the lettuce is usually optional because I find that lettuce tastes bitter when it's not fresh)

I wash the vegetables in vinegar and/or salt depending on how dirty they look and how I feel..
I actually soak them for about 10 mins then rinse in clean water...then proceed to peel the carrots (my swivel potato peeler does it effortlessly) and half the green bell peppers to remove the seeds and rinse them again...
When I wash lettuce I make sure I wash each leaf individually and keep them upside down to drain in a colander...
I did not find fresh lettuce this time and I already had the carrots and bell peppers in my fridge so I had to make this salad or risk them going bad.
The veggies in this picture are already cleaned and dripping dry..
When the veggies are dry, I grate the carrots using the larger teeth of my grater, then I chop up the rest of the veggies into separate bowls.
I usually like the carrots looking long and stringy and I achieve this look by grating in one direction only..
I usually get impatient waiting for the veggies to get dry so I pat them with a kitchen tissue to save time...Lols...
I cut up the vegetables as quickly as I can...the size doesn't matter but they do look nicer when the size is uniform!!!
When I'm done with all that, I strain the water out of the sweet corn...and then it's time to put them all together in layers...
I just take a little of each veggie and spread in a thin layer turn by turn till they are all finished...
I usually make it in a plastic bowl with a lid to make storing it easy...
I call this my 10 minute salad because it takes about 10 mins to clean well and 10 mins to prepare..(I make a little each time so it takes less time to prepare and it finishes before it goes sour)
I add the avocado just before I eat it as a sort of dressing because I don't want extra calories from creamy salad dressings...sometimes when I have fresh tomatoes I add those too just before serving because if kept too long, the tomato has a way of making it go bad faster...
Other ingredients that I love in my salad include apples, almonds, spring onions, cashew nuts, seedless grapes,...etc..the list is endless..
Now i see salads as a fun way of eating healthy and they can be dressed up all fancy or dressed down to the bare minimum..it's all up to me
Any ideas on how I can further fab up my salad without increasing preparation time?

6 comments:

  1. Some protein like shredded chicken breast, tuna flakes, sardines are also fab additions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...great idea...Im not a fish person but il give it a try and let u know it goes...thanx

      Delete
  2. that's fabtastic, great recipe, great blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice!!! Bn looking for a way to substitute my high calorie food intake with sthg healthier n less time consuming to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanx dear and please let me know how it goes, if you made any alterations e.t.c

      Delete